A Pet Limit?

Discussion in Pets started by ExpertAdvice • Oct 6, 2014.

1. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    Amanda I'm 47. If I go get 10 cats from the kill shelter today, and I die in 10 years, and the cats get taken to the shelter (that won't happen as long as my best friend outlives me but if not there might be a problem because no one in my family will take care of them so I do need a backup plan), then they got 10 years they wouldn't have if I didn't go get them from the kill shelter. It would be terrible for them to go to a kill shelter whether I had 1 or 10 or 100 or 1000. There are places they can go after your death if you provide for them. I am thinking I might want mine to go to the Stevenson Center when I die.

But I haven't decided yet. I go back and forth because even though it is made to be a homelike atmosphere it is still basically a kennel.

By the way I have no intention of getting any more cats any time soon. I'm just saying that we can't predict what will happen tomorrow even if we are young and healthy there could be a terrible accident, but adopting animals is a good thing. Some rescues will take them back if you die also.

#21Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  2. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. The average life span for an outdoor cat is 1-2 years, if the survive past kitten. If I where to die in a few years and my cats where put down (I'm sure my partner and family wont let that happen) then at least they got a chance to live healthy and happy and more than they could on the street.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:

I hate thinking about that sort of thing but I agree with you. While I wouldn't get that many personally, I think it's good to take on whatever you can. I have two dogs that people didn't want anymore and I know they're a lot better off with me no matter what happens. Nobody can predict the future but whatever time they can have to be in a loving home is important.

4. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    Luckily, you are all responsible pet owners, Nickchick, Mariee, and sthrngypsy. I'm not just talking about a death, though. Lots of unforeseen events unfortunately come up- sick relatives, new babies, flight delays, hurricanes, tornadoes, ice storms, etc. It is easier for the community to step in and help out if they are aware of a high number of animals and their needs. You are not the sort of people who should be penalized by a pet limit. But, there are irresponsible breeders who run puppy mills. Those animals suffer until, at best, they become a difficult job for rescuers. There are also hoarders. Many of the people who have hoarded animals started out with the best of intentions, and absolutely stretched their resources too far. I know several people who have neglected their own needs- even health care- for their pets. I certainly understand the impulse. I have a rescue dog and cat. They are absolutely part of my family. But, as much as we may want to, we cannot save all of the needy animals. Those who try need lots of support. Placing limits could help to differentiate between those of you who are working to help animals and those who are seeking profit from making them miserable.