A Dog Out Of The Cities

Discussion in Pets started by to7update • Nov 10, 2016.

1. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    From my experience I see there is a huge difference in the way people from the city treat their dogs and the way people from the country do it. City people have them in their flats and treat them as family members, while people from the country has dogs basically as security, a "cheap" and effective alarm against intruders and many time there isn't an emotional connection.

What's your opinion, do you see yourself using your dog only as an "alarm system"?

2. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Our dog act as both a family member and a security alarm in our house in the province. It has it's own place to sleep inside the house and sometimes we sleep together with it. I guess it depends on it's owner on what he's going to make his dog as.

3. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I'd have it as both. It can be our guard dog and be part of the family just like it if was one of us. We have jobs and so can the dog. I would feed it when we eat and also have him his own place to sleep and play at.

4. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    That's how I see it too. Sure, it's great to have a pet that gives the alarm when an intruder comes, but at the same time it is a living creature, so it deserves to be treated with respect. I do know some people out in the country that simple doesn't have enough consideration for their pets.

5. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    That's how I feel. I wouldn't get a dog just for company because they need to work too like everyone else in their family. That job is guarding the house from burglars. I wouldn't make my family work and let the dog live a comfortable life. Everyone must be useful somehow.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We treat our dogs as family. In fact, they sleep in our bedroom so feel them safe with us. They can also be considered guard dogs because they are alert and they bark upon hearing strange sounds indicative of intruders. But we keep our dogs inside the house for their own protection. And they only go out to the yard with someone overseeing them.

7. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of owners keeping dogs inside for their own protection. People I know would usually leave them out but they do live in relatively safe areas. If a burglar enters your home, would you let the dogs attack the burglar or do they just serve as alarms as their job?

8. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Let me explain a bit. There are stray dogs in our village and we suspect that those stray dogs spread diseases. That's the primary reason why we do not let our dogs out of the gate. And there are airborne diseases so we also confine our dogs inside the house although we let them out when there is someone to supervise them.

If there is an intruder, we wouldn't let our dog attack the intruder. I would rather attack the intruder myself in defense of our dogs.

9. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Alright. That makes a bit more sense. It must be pretty worrisome having to watch for disease-ridden dogs and especially if you use your dogs for lovable company more than a guard. You become a lot more emotionally attached to them if you consider them as such. I'm glad though.

I personally wouldn't want to get too attached to too many living beings. It's difficult to leave them behind.

Thank you for explaining.

10. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, that does happen to a lot of people who have pets, me included. When they die is just too painful to let them go, so I do make a pause before I get a new pet. My parents for example never got another pet since their cat died as they were extremely attached to him. No surprise, after all pets are caring creatures and it's easy to develop feelings.

11. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    My two dogs work. They work for their food and board. They get a good deal out of it too compared to some other dogs. They don't live outside, there is no need for that. They live in the house with me, in the warm, they have a futon to sleep on in my bedroom, but mostly end up sleeping on my bed.
    They work security, any dog does really. In return they get food, board and treats and toys. Living with me however, they are part of the family, my best friends.
    I live in a village which is not really rural, but if I did live rural I still would not have them live outside. If I did that I would have really bad guilt trips. So town or country, mine are inside with me, telling me when a cat walks past or the postman calls.
    They keep me feeling safe knowing they are there beside me.

12. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I really enjoyed reading your post @janemariesayed@janemariesayed because you simply show the love you have for your pets, but saying they work for their food and board is a little overrated no? :) At the same time nothing like having someone we love and that make us feel safe, that is priceless!

13. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    Ha ha your post made me smile! @to7update@to7update of course it isn't overrated to say they work for their food! It is meant in a light-hearted way. But, the fact is that all dogs, even the tiniest little munchkin will bark and let the owner know if there is an intruder.

I do think that in a dogs mind, they think it is their job to tell off the postmen, or intruders and protect their territory. It's quite sweet really, whenever I go out and have to leave them indoors alone I always say 'Loopy, you are in charge okay? and Carly, you're on guard!' It's just a sweet thing and I'm dippy enough to think they expect to hear those words whenever I go out, even if they don't understand them!

I even tell them where I'm going and how long I'm going to be! I'm just waiting for them to say 'Oy! you said you were only going to be half an hour! Where have you been huh? ;)

14. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    lol, I love when we humans try to enter in our pet's minds, trying to figure out what they are thinking. I've read that cats and dogs think we are like them, just bigger, but I am just not sure if I agree with that... They do feel separation anxiety as they are creatures of habit and they are used to us. :)